Islip FTZ Authority

Do You Need to Export a Vehicle to Canada?

If you are looking to export your vehicle to Canada, there are some important things you need to know first.

There is now a requirement to file your information for exportation with the Automated Export System, or AES. A new requirement was issued in April 2014, that states that your used self-propelled vehicle must be filed at least 72 hours before export. 


In the U.S., Customs and Border Protection, or CBP, considers all vehicles transferred by the dealership, manufacturer or distributor to the owner of the vehicle to be used. 

If you are a U.S. citizen, company, or resident, here is what you need to do:
You have two filing options.
The first option you will need an Employee Identification Number (EIN) and to register with AESDirect. File your information and then you will receive your unique Internal Transaction Number (ITN). 
Your second option will be to get an EIN, and select an authorized U.S. agent to file the information on your behalf. They will then give you your unique ITN.
Regardless of which option you choose, it is extremely important to give your ITN to CBP at least 72 hours before export.

If you are NOT a U.S. citizen, company, or resident, here is what you need to do:
Since you are not a U.S. resident, you cannot file on your own through AESDirect. This means you will have to find an authorized agent to file for you. Instead of an EIN, you will need to provide your passport number and any other elements required. You will then receive your unique ITN from the agency. 

It is important to know that since compliance period has ended (as of October 2, 2014) penalties will apply if you do not utilize the new filing requirements. By filing with the right agency or system and following the above steps correctly, exporting your used self-propelled can be as easy as 1-2-3.